9.15.2012

Everyday Makeup

Some of the makeup that I use daily (Clockwise from top left: Shu Uemura eye curler,  Clinique Airbrush Concealer, Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum Foundation, Burberry eye shadows, Bobbi Brown pot rouge and Becca Shimmering Skin Prefector).

Many people who know me will be surprised if I tell them that I consider myself a makeup connoisseur. Ask me what shade of blush/lipstick/nail polish are launched by Chanel for this Autumn/Winter collection and I’ll tell you what they are. My love affair with makeup started shortly after I graduated from college, and lived in Paris during the early days of our marriage. No, it is not that Parisienne are usually loaded with obvious makeup; in fact, I hardly came across one who were. Somehow, it is the allure of looking polished, chic, yet understated that attracted me to explore the world of makeup as part of my daily grooming.

So, if makeup for me is all about looking polished, fresh, and presentable, my choice of look is the no-makeup makeup look; the one that is barely-there, sophisticated but without obvious signs, enhancing the best and and minimizing the least desirable features. On occasions, I do enjoy wearing bright lips, smoky eyes, or shimmery bronzy cheeks. Most of the days, however, my makeup is understated.

Understated makeup does not always mean minimal product/minimal makeup. I am aware of the elaborate length some women do to look naturally pretty. I feel, the older I get, the more type of product I need to use in order to help me look my best. For example, I never need to use concealer when I was in my twenties, now I need at least one type for under eye and spots (blame it to hormone). I use highlighter now regularly to cheat an illusion of a youthful skin, when my skin is mostly dull and sallow due to lack of sleep.

The following are the sampling of what I use in daily basis. They may change according to season, what I do during the day, with whom I spend my day, etc. My skin is usually somewhat normal to oily on T-zone, dry everywhere else, with sensitivity. By sensitivity, I specifically mean that I do get reaction, such as hives and welts, from topical skin products that I often treat with over-the-counter hydrocortisone cream.

  • Foundation.
    Bourjouis Healthy Mix Serum Foundation #52 or Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua in Beige 20.

  • Concealer.
    Clinique Airbrush concealer, a little bit under my eyes, or Stila Concealer in 30 for blemishes.
  • Highlighting fluid.
    I dab a bit of this over my cheek bone, under the brows, and down my nose. I use either Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector in Pearl or Burberry Fresh Glow. These products provide luminosity that my skin sometimes lacking without looking too obvious.
  • Mascara.
    I never stay faithful to one brand when it comes to mascara and I always use drugstore brand whenever possible -- just because I toss my mascara every 3 months or so. I always curl my lashes using Shu Uemura eyelash curler.
  • Eye shadow.
    I normally use one base color and one accent color. As a base color, my trusty Burberry Trench eyeshadow does the trick. It is silky smooth and the color is close to the color of my eye lids. I vary the accent color depending on the season. This summer, I’ve been using Burberry Pale Barley a lot. For autumn/winter color, I love Chanel Illusion d’Ombre in #83 Illusoire. I normally do accent color as a sheer wash all over my lids.
  • Blush.
    Bobbi Brown Pot Rouge, Stila Convertible Color, or Becca Beach Tints are some of the blushes I’m using on rotation. In general, I favor cream blushes over powder.
  • Lip balm/tinted balm.

Finally, an excellent tutorial on no-makeup makeup look by Lisa Eldridge provides me with inspiration and tips. On future posts, I will share with you my skincare routine. I think good skin is a good foundation to beauty and most of the time, it gets overlooked.

What are your makeup routine? What products have you enjoyed using in daily basis?

No comments:

Post a Comment