Monday, December 17, 2012

Silent Night

I'm a bit ambivalent about posting this blog post, but the tragedy last week at Sandy Hook shook me to the core.

As parents will attest, we all share the same invisible bond: being a parent makes us a little bit more compassionate, a little bit more caring, and look at live a little bit more vulnerably. We may think that such event will never happen in our backyard, but we know we lied to ourselves. We know that the safety of our children is paramount and something like this is beyond dreadful.

My emotions need my reasons to explain why, so I searched high and low. I don't want to think the unthinkable, yet I also want to think what I can do to prepare myself, to protect my family, to help the victim. So many questions, so little answer.

Then came along this quote from a parenting blog that I subscribed to, and I found a little shelter from the angst:

"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, ‘Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.’ To this day, especially in times of ‘disaster,’ I remember my mother’s words and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers – so many caring people in this world.” - Mr Rogers

I am thankful that my life thus far has been blessed with so many caring people, in big and small ways. May I be the channel of that care and help, whenever someone else needs it, now or in the future. And may those people who are affected by this tragedy find help and care that they need, whether it be from me or from anyone else.

I am still contemplating on how to best help the victims at Sandy Hook. I know there are so many ways to do so. Meanwhile, I will hug BabyLorp tightly today, grateful for the privilege of taking care of him for another day.


No comments:

Post a Comment