Wednesday, January 2, 2013

A Gratitude to Start the New Year

For the start of the New Year, I'd like to reaffirm my commitment for living a more mindful life, and one of the way to be mindful (besides meditating -- who has time, right? or doing yoga -- I wish!) is by writing down gratitude list.

Listing things to be grateful about is not about boasting, or about checking off accomplishment list. It's about being aware and mindful about what happens/had happened in one's life, big or small. No deep revelation for me here, it just keeps things in perspective.

Sure, there are lots of things that make me mad in daily basis: the constant noise from the neighbor is one of them, his parking the car on the shared driveway is another, his unsocialized pit bull is another, the list goes on... but I can be mad all day and be a non-functioning human if I keep focusing on those. And, let's be honest, those thoughts crop up by themselves. I do not think them, those thoughts think themselves into reality! How many of us lie awake at night with recurring thoughts? Perhaps you don't realize it? Perhaps you do?

On the other hand, when I'm writing this list down, I'm deliberately re-focusing my mind that life is not always all bad. In fact, I've got lots of things to be thankful about. Today, I'm thankful for:

  • Being able to eat a bowl of miso ramen, still steaming hot, uninterrupted, alone.
  • Hearing the chuckle of BabyLorp, and him discovering MagnaDoodle for the first time.
  • Having PapaLorp come home from work early at the end of the day.
  • Knowing that BabyLorp was having loads of fun in the park with his nanny today.
  • A time to get a properly brewed cup of tea, and enjoy them as well, while it is still hot! (Hot is a big deal here..)
  • A beautiful sunny day.
  • A negative skin biopsy result (turned out to be an odd-looking mole + two spots of aggravated seborrheic keratoses). 
  • A quiet night to write this blog post, and contemplate on things that I'm grateful for.
What are you grateful about today?


2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful way to start the year :)
    I do have many things to be greatful for. There were so many changes in the recent past like finding a beautiful new home, getting a lovely new kitten and being closer with my bf again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Certainly those are things to be grateful about!! Happy New Year to you, Vanessa.

    ReplyDelete