Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Drugstore Find: Boots No. 7 Botanics Organic Face Nourishing Cleanser and Eye Make Up Remover.

I've shied away from department store skincare, simply because they are a lot of hype but not much deliverance. Drugstore products are the obvious choice. I do read ingredients a lot and try to educate myself as best as I could, but sometimes I cannot really judge how a product will perform without actually using it.

Case point is these two cleansers from Boots No. 7 Botanics line that I recently got, on sale, at local Target. On sale because apparently the Boots display will be renewed come Spring 2013, stay tunned..

Boots Botanics Nourishing Face Cleanser and Nourishing Eye Make Up Remover
My dry skin is getting even drier during the winter time, and this is when I start breaking into my stash of steroid creams of varying degree of potency, to keep eczematous and psoriatic patches at bay. Steroid creams are the necessary evil for us eczemas sufferer: it keeps the inflammation down, but it also causes thinning of the skin if used too often. My dermatologist told me to clean the face using water and nothing else. You can tell he is not the sort of cosmetic dermatologist as, ahem, doc, I do wear makeup daily.

I've been using foaming cleansers in the past, but they are drying. Of course, by its very definition, surfactant-based cleanser dissolves a layer of naturally-produced oil from the skin no matter how gentle the surfactant may be. The alternatives to this are lotion-type cleanser and cleansing oil.



First up is the eye make up remover. It is perhaps the best one I've ever tried, drugstore or else. The ingredients list is very minimum (please click picture above to enlarge): nothing but olive oil, jojoba oil, water, and glycerin (and some other sucrose derivative to act as emulsifier -- my guess). 

The consistency is like a cream/gel. You squeeze a small pea-size, onto finger tips and rub them on your eyes gently. Then splash your eyes with a little bit of water, and this gel turns into milky lotion that rinses off easily. The result is softly moisturized skin on the delicate area of the eyes. It even dissolves gel liners (Bobbi Brown's and Maybelline's) and waterproof mascara (L'Oreal, Giorgio Armani, and Majolica Majorca Lash Expander)!!! This is quite remarkable. I did a "confirmation" test with Bioderma after each cleansing, I got nothing but a smidgen of liner/mascara on my Q-tips, and that is from the areas that cannot be reached by rubbing the cleanser alone (like in between the lashes). 

Regardless, this humble concoction removed 98% of my eye makeup with a single cleanse. As a bonus, this doubles as lip cleanser, yes, the ones stained with matte/velvet, pigmented lipsticks that we so love during the season. Just follow the same method and lips are cleansed, moisturized, and without nasty taste either. Double hit!

The down side is this cleanser gets into the eyes and can cause some blurring. It doesn't feel irritating, though, but the blurring can be quite tenacious. Consider yourself warned.


Next, the facial cleanser itself. Again, what attracts me is the simplicity of the ingredients. It does a decent job removing makeup. I always cleanse my face twice, then I do a "confirmation" test with Bioderma. This cleanser removes everything: makeup + sunscreen base underneath. A little caveat: it contains alcohol (it does sting a bit on my sensitive patches), and it contains essential oils (I really can do without these, especially on my sensitive skin). Other than that, I'm quite pleased with the performance.

THM: highly recommended on the eye make up remover. Not bad for the face cleanser but I may try some other brand.

2 comments:

  1. I'm having real trouble with cleansers. They usually leave my skin super dry. Not nice. Unfortunately we don'T have Boots here :(

    Thank you so much for your comment. I am constantly thinking of new ways to improve my blog and now vlog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vanessa, try Avene Gentle Cleanser. I think Avene is available in Germany. If not, try La Roche Posay Toleriane, also available in Germany, I believe.

      Delete