Friday, January 25, 2013

Goodies from Vacation, Part I.

No, not my vacation, sadly. My parents'. Last year, they stopped by in Singapore for their winter vacation and immediately I thought of Japanese cosmetics.

A bit of a background: I have not lived with my parents for almost 20 years now. My mother is a tenured, university professor with zero inclination of makeup. My father is a retired civil engineer who can't be bothered about ladies who wear makeup. The saving grace? My mom loves to shop, especially for her children and grandchildren. Needless to say, there are plenty of goodies going around for BabyLorp, but asking my mom to pick up some makeup items for me was a tricky proposition. Thankfully, through blogging, I met Joey who graciously offered me a list of stockists for Japanese makeup items. These are the goodies my mom managed to find for me out of a list of things I gave her. All of them were found in Takashimaya and Watson's nearby -- quite convenient one-stop shop if anyone is going to that area in Singapore.

Clockwise from top: RMK Blush Brush, Canmake Cream Cheek No.5, No. 11, Majolica Majorca Lash Expander Mascara.
The inspiration from Canmake Cream Cheek was from The Peculiar One, whose quaint, curious blog now become my daily read. I love cream blushes and these blushes really deliver. The fact that they are drug store product earn a big plus! 

Canmake Cream Cheek No. 5 and No. 11, respectively, coordinate well with Chanel Rouge Allure Gracille No. 89 

With so many colors to choose from, I gave my mom a few that I'd like to try and she got me No. 5 -- a coral pink and No. 11 -- a peachy pink pastel. The pigmentation is on the sheer side but certainly buildable. One thing I noticed is the lack of brown/beige pigment in these blushes. The color is quite pastel, a bright pop of pink/coral, tinted down with a bit of white. The result on my skin is quite... cute. Too cute, perhaps for my taste. Nevertheless, they are great alternative and addition to my stash of cream blushes. Both coordinate very well with Chanel Rouge Allure Gracille that I found myself using more often lately.


One may consider RMK Blush Brush a consolation price or alternative to the quintessential Suqqu Cheek Brush. Perhaps this is true, not knowing the performance of the Suqqu brush itself. I choose this brush to complement my brush collection since the head is significantly smaller than other blush brushes I owned. I appreciate the short handle as well, it fits right into the Bonne Maman jar where I store my brushes. 


Finally, another talented blogger, Kate the Driveller inspired this last item. Her posts and looks are so inspirational, I'll have what she's having! -- including this Majolica Majorca Lash Expander Frame Plus. It is quite a feat, really, that my mom found the exact same one, considering there are many Majolica Majorca mascaras out there. 

If one can get only one beauty product from an Asian brand, let it be the mascara. This mascara is da bomb. It lengthens, separates, volumizes and wears like iron. It is soo tenacious that I had to cleanse twice using waterproof make up remover. In fact, I think it can be a bit rough on my lashes, I don't think I'll use this daily. Better save this mascara for special occasions such as parties, parent nights out, or synchronized swimming number in front of the judges. 

Part II of this post will cover the fashionable VoCE magazine -- a very popular magazine among Japanese beauty fans. That magazine left me begging shamelessly to BabyLorp's nanny to help me translate it into English. Stay tuned.





No comments:

Post a Comment