Friday, January 4, 2013

Vintage Stila

I love makeup. I love makeup because I can express myself with it. Sure, I wear mostly the no-makeup makeup in daily basis, but deep down periwinkle lipsticks and orange shadows dance like vision of sugarplums. Besides, how else can I own a piece of Chanel, Giorgio Armani or Tom Ford with less than a year's salary?

But Stila was the first love of my makeup life. With the very first purchase of Puck Eye Shadow, Orange Lip Glaze, and Orchid Convertible Color, my makeup addiction journey officially began. This was back in the year 2000. Yes, I was a late bloomer.



Perhaps this Toile de Jouy pattern is my most favorite Stila packaging/collection.
In its glory days, the line was fresh and imaginative, a far cry from semi-clinical, nicely-scrubbed clean makeup brands of the '90s (Clinique, Prescriptives and CK One come in mind). Yes, some may consider it looked like teenage's play, but there were no mistaken identity for us makeup fan, Stila meant serious makeup. Stila was very boho, very cute, and very trendy.

Each Stila pan/palette used to come with its own famous quote.





As you can see, I love this palette so much, it has seen better days.
Stila has changed hands and reborn several times since then. The current Stila hardly inspires me of what it used to be. Most of the eye shadow shades are still there, but they don't even make the lipsticks anymore (remember Natalie?) -- yes, a makeup brand without lipstick. And where are the Stila girls and Stila cans? I visited their website just now, it seems like they are moving toward a different direction now. Every good things must come to an end and perhaps I will check out the new Stila next time I'm at my local Sephora.

What was your first makeup love? Or are/were you also a Stila fan?



8 comments:

  1. My first makeup love was with loreal eyeshadows kk. Now I love lancome eyeshadows the most. I have not tried anything from stila but I would love to in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the direction Lancome has taken lately. Adopting Emma Watson as it's face, it has a fresh & young quality, unlike the old Lancome. Have you tried their Spring 2013 collection? It certainly looks beautiful. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Always have been fascinated by / covetous of makeup, but my first real personal brand loves were Shu Uemura and Stila too. I remember saving up allowance/babysitting/tutoring funds for months in order to afford a precious Convertible Colour and eye brush.

    When your picture popped up on my blogroll, I squealed. Thanks for this reminiscence :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes.. saving up funds for Stila was quite the right sentiment: I remember when a skinny tube of Lip Glaze used to cost $24. A skinny one, mind you, not the current reincarnation of the chubbier kind. Glad to reminisce with another Stila fan :-)

      Delete
  3. OMG, I'm right there with you. I loved, loved, loved, Stila back in the day. Estee Lauder has not done justice to Jeanine Lobell's creative vision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since Jeanine left, Stila went down quite quickly. The style, concept, and creativity were just not there anymore. Makeup is more than just colors, don't you think?

      Delete
  4. This packaing is so pretty! I don't think I've ever used any Stila products.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if Stila is available in Germany... Maybe if you purchase online, but perhaps it's not readily available in stores.

      Delete