Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Double Cream and Cleanser

My skincare line up is quite boring, really. I have been using Paula's Choice products for years. Her products are affordable and they deliver. On the plus side, her distribution warehouse is right here in Seattle, so shipping is lighting fast and I am proud to be supporting local company.

Every now and then, however, I need something that her product range does not offer. Such is a good cream-based cleanser (and thus my foray to Boots No. 7 products here), and these new finds.



As I mentioned before, my skin is dry and dehydrated. It is prone to eczema and psoriatic patches especially during winter time. In addition, I also have hormonal acne during TTOM. In the past, I've been using Paula's Choice RESIST Barrier Repair Moisturizer. I like this because the packaging is air-tight and sealed all the good antioxidants in it. But this cream does not really seal in moisture. In fact, I woke up with dry skin everyday when I used this during winter time. 

I came across these product recommendation from a local dermatologist. I didn't go to her personally, but I read her blog and website when I'm in search for new product or have questions about my skin maladie. Each product name links to the manufacturer's site (click away as none of them are affiliate -- I wish!).

Ingredient list of SkinMedica Facial Cleanser
SkinMedica Facial Cleanser claims to be gently foaming and it is rightly so. The lather is so soft and easily rinses off. This cleanser is that it removes makeup plus sunscreen on one step -- it is quite a potent cleanser with just a quarter-size worth! But the downside as one may suspect is drying. I have been using this cleanser for about a week now, each time I follow it up with Hyaluronic lotion from HadaLabo to decrease the dryness. I have a feeling that my search for a good basic cleanser will continue.

Ingredient list of Vivite Replenish Hydrating Cream

The second product is Vivite Replenish Hydrating Cream made by Allergan. It is an emollient, rich cream, designed as a post-procedural cream or to be used in conjunction with retinoid based product -- which is notorious for causing significant peeling and dryness.  It claims to add hydration in non-glycolic base. As you may know, Allergan is the maker of Latisse, Botox, Juvederm XC and I suspect many of the chemical peel solutions/gels that your spa/medi-spa may use as well.

The cream is basic, but works fantastic on my dry skin. It is rather thick and goopy, so I work about a large pea size amount on my palm before spreading it gently on my skin which has been prepped with layers of other skin care. It makes a nice eye cream too. Finally, I purchased this one on 50% sale, I should have stocked up. Love!

Ingredient list of Kate Somerville Goat Milk Cream

The final product is Kate Somerville Goat Milk Cream. I've never tried her products, but this recommendation came from a trusted friend. Nothing impressive from the ingredient list, but it works quite well due to ingenious pump design that dispense the right amount of product on one push (check out KarlaSugar's post about it right here).

This cream is thinner than Vivite, in fact, it is more lotion-like. It spreads out nicely, but it is not as moisture-sealing as Vivite. I use this underneath my sunscreen in the AM when my skin needs a bit of slip. It has a nice feel on application and once applied it seems to be absorbed nicely. It becomes a surprising staple on days when I need some moisture boost.

I hope you've enjoyed this review. Any products you'd recommend for dry skin?



No comments:

Post a Comment