5.22.2013

Odd bits and tips.

I was chatting with a friend today and I realized how much I love collecting odd tips for pretty much anything: cooking, makeup, life in general. Besides, who does not love a good tip? Here are a few to get the ball rolling:
  • When homemade broth is lacking depth in flavor, try adding lemon juice and/or sugar and/or soy sauce. Adjust them to taste, of course. Works for me every time.
  • For a deep, cystic pimple that is just emerging (you know when it does), dab over the counter hydrocortisone cream and cover with bandaid overnight. The cortisone decrease the inflammation and occlusive bandage will increase the absorption of cortisone. If you have higher-strength corticosteroid cream prescribed by your doctor, you can use this, too, but very, very sparingly because too much corticosteroid cream can cause thinning of the skin.
  • Rubbing hands under the water with stainless steel spoon (or fork, or anything) after chopping garlic will get rid of garlicky smell.
  • Wash your face in the morning using only water -- providing you washed it thoroughly the night before. I think I got this from several sources (including from Jennifer aka Madame Connoisseur here) and I was skeptical at first, but I tried and I never got any pimple/breakout from it.
  • Extra virgin coconut oil on everything. I'm talking about the coconut oil that is cold-pressed and still smells like coconut, very yummy in fact. I keep a big jar at home and I use it a lot on me (hair mask, lip balm, sauteing vegetables, also very useful for breastfeeding -- it has a mild anti-fungal property to keep the nasty thrush at bay) and on BabyLorp (as emollient/protective barrier against drool rash, diaper rash, etc.
  • Over-salted your soup/stew? Sugar works best. Potato doesn't. 
  • Get an extra mile from your retinoid creams by applying them on damp skin, not dry. 
Now your turn. What are some of your favorite tips?

No comments:

Post a Comment