4.18.2013

Empties: repurchase or not?

I came across this charming youtube video from Graine de Houpette: Produits terminés - à racheter ou pas. This is one of French vlog that I follow and I found her channel quite charming. In any case, I thought I'd follow suit for several products that I've used up so far.



  • Klorane Shampoo with Almond Milk.
    I got this one from a promo at diapers.com/soap.com and gave it a try. The shampoo is very milky and mild. It does a decent job cleansing my hair, which can be greasy at the roots (I shampoo my hair every other week since I have oily scalp and fine hair). Sometimes, I feel I need to do a second shampoo to get rid of particularly heavy styling products. It is lightly scented that dissipates quickly. I think it's ok, but it is SLS-based. I've been meaning to try non-sulfate shampoo/conditioner, so I probably will reuse my existing shampoo (I'm trying to use up Lush Seanik now).
    Verdict: not.
  • Whole Foods 365 Everyday Value Shower Gel in Grapefruit.
    Second ingredients in this shower gel is cocamidopropyl-based surfactant, so I thought it would be milder than most of the SLS-based shower gel. Not so. Also disappointing is the fragrance: it is quite stinky and chemically. Could I be getting a bad product? In any case, the bottle is huge, the value is quite reasonable, it cleans well both body and hair in a jiff.
    Verdict: maybe repurchase but another scent/unscented. 
  • CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion.
    Recommended by a dermatologist I know, I've been using this lotion faithfully. This is my holy-grail body lotion: unscented, non-irritating, and the moisture seems to last better than some of the thicker lotion. Coria Laboratories, the maker of CeraVe, also produces prescription topical creams/ointments, so I know they must have a good R&D behind the formulation.
    Verdict: repurchase.
  • Neutrogena Naturals Purifying Facial Cleanser.
    It is a thick cleanser that lathers mildly. It does remove light makeup but it leaves my skin feeling dry. I much rather it be unscented, the scent is so artificial, it's a bit revolting, but I guess natural ingredients can be stinky so perfume is needed to mask it.
    Verdict: not.
  • Resist Cellular Defense Daily Moisturizer with SPF 25 from Paula's Choice.
    I enjoy PC's products in general. They offer good value, much researched ingredients, non-gimicky packaging and shipping is super fast since the office is just a stone throw away from where I live. I was in search of physical block sunscreen during the summer. I just have to accept that physical block = a quite thick cream in order to disperse the zinc oxide/titanium dioxide properly. After all,  these are dense particle that must be suspended in equally dense vehicle. That, or you need a silicone-based water emulsion that you shake in a bottle with little pebbles inside. This thick sunscreen feels rather tacky (minimally tacky if powdered) but does a good job protecting. I didn't get burned at all during the summer and there were times when we spent the whole day outdoor. I appreciate that it is unscented, but the twist-off cap on top is certainly unnecessary.
    Verdict: maybe. I have another chemical block sunscreen coming, hopefully I won't have any reaction to that. If so, I may have to come back to this until I find a suitable replacement.

2 comments:

  1. I love empties! Not sure why....maybe it's because it heralds the time when I can try stick or twist! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Empties feel like accomplishment to me :-)

      Delete