5.08.2013

Musings about Moms

Mother's Day is coming up in the U.S. and I have two posts regarding Mother's Day. First up is this commercial video stopped me dead on my track hunting One Direction 'tubes:


Granted it is just an ad, but what strikes me is that both women are mothers and they are somewhat force of nature.

Now that I'm a mother, it is hard not to compare myself with my mother, which I sometimes found to be annoying. My mother and I grew up and live in very different world with different functions to fulfill in our role as mothers. Growing up, I remember her saying that she didn't want to be the same kind of mother that her mother was, and I found myself thinking and saying the same thing. Yet, I know there are things that I do or say that are exactly what she did.

Regardless, I'd like to think that my mother taught me a thing or two. Here are some quirky and un-quirky things I learned from my mom.

  • That women can have a career and a family (with a lot of help, which my mom failed to emphasize)
  • Household chores are important things to master and do well
  • Money is for saving, not for spending. "Buy only things that you need, not things that you want." (Note to self: v. prudent advice but still need to work on this)
  • Dental hygiene is also very important (she is, afterall, a dentist)
  • Hold your clutch close to your body and open your eyes wide while out and about in the crowded places (it really saved me one time from being mugged in a crowd, thanks mom!)
  • Learning to play tennis can open up doors
  • If you want to be taken seriously, wear less makeup (now I think what she really meant was to look polished without looking overdone)
  • You can eat faster and easier if you use fork instead of chopsticks
  • Don't be afraid of blood and gut (and thanks to mom, I love dissection in High School Biology)
  • When you get nauseous from motion sickness, look to things far in the horizon, that'll lessen the sickness
My mom is no Eunice Shriver, but she is also a force of nature of herself. Whenever she saw me, the first thing that came out of her mouth would be, "We should have redone your braces and pulled the two molars to make room for the rest," and the second would be, "Stand tall, sit straight up, and don't cover your mouth when you laugh."

Don't we love our mothers? Please share with us some quirky/un-quirky things you learned from your mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment