7.19.2013

Je joue continue...


As I mentioned earlier, I had a lot of fun playing with this JOUER Blushing Beauty Palette, I didn't mention that I got it for 50% off from JOUER's website. How? Well, if your sign-up at the website for the first time, they will send you a coupon for 50% off your first purchase. JOUER also has various sales, posted on their facebook page, so be sure you subscribe to that, too, if you are interested in this brand.

Yes, it is a steal for $29, but first off, I noticed how tiny this palette is. Tiny I said!


The whole thing is less than an iPhone. Pretty tiny, eh? That's a Burberry lipstick above the palette. In terms of the amount of product you are getting, this is very little. My guess is your money goes toward the nifty packaging, which I must admit is very nifty.

Now, does the product perform? This little palette consists of three small detachable compacts and a lip gloss. Let's review take a look at them one by one!


Cherish Moisturizing Lip Gloss
First off, it looks quite bright on the picture, but actually, it is a rather milky peachy pink with pink shimmer (see swatches below). The shimmer is pink opaline that flashes fuschia/purple at some angle. This opaline shimmer reminds me a lot of Bobbi Brown's Brightening lip gloss. I have a slight aversion to glitter/shimmer on my lips, this one is no exception. The shimmer particle stays on the lips after I wipe the gloss off. The texture is rather thin, somewhat watery, but it is unscented (good in my book) and it does not bleed. It has a nice, cushy feel when you first put it on that slowly disappear as the gloss wears off. I'd say the coverage is medium-sheer, but can be layered (albeit gloopy). It is quite moisturizing, but I never depend on lip gloss alone to moisturize my lips. Oddly enough, I get an overall sensation of Chantecaille Compact Lip Gloss form this gloss. Maybe they share the same ingredients?

Chocolat and Peach Powder Eyeshadow Duo
The texture of these shadows are finely milled and soft, but the color pay off is about medium. Peach is matte pink-peach, almost too sheer and powdery on my hand (which is now about NC25, thanks to impromptu park visits). Chocolat is mid-tone brown with bronze shimmer that looks beautiful on the swatch but looks flat on the eyes. Again, I think because the pigment pay off is not that strong. Nevertheless, these two combos are very easy to use and all I need is a wash for everyday use. 




Feather Highlighter & Whisper Tint Duo
These cream blush-highlighter is probably the star product of this set. The texture is creamy, somewhat waxy with silicon-ey feel to it. Not as waxy as Bobbi Brown Pot Rouge, but not as creamy as Le Metier Creme Fresh. It reminds me more like the new Le Blush Creme de Chanel. You can gauge the texture a bit based on my fingerprint impressions above. They are both shimmery, but very easy to blend and sheer out. The shimmer is very refined, I'd say similar to Becca's quality. These are also unscented. Love!



Matte Touch Powder/Bronzer Duo
I'm having a hard time swatching these powders and to get them to show up on my camera, but sufficed to say, it works well for pale-light-light/medium skin tone. I'd say, if you are darker than NC30, the powder will look too chalky and the bronzer will be too light for your skin. Too bad because I think the highlighter/blush duo above will work well with darker/tanned skin tones. These two are completely matte. The bronzer is straight up brown with a good balance of red and gray in it, so it does not look orangey. Since the surface area of the bronzer is tiny, I like using pointed brush like Hakuhodo yachiyo or J5521 which works well for contouring (i.e. one of the intended use of this bronzer). The finishing powder is sheer and just enough to mattify the skin.

Now for some swatches:

Under direct sunlight: Peach e/s -- Chocolat e/s -- Whisper Tint blush -- Feather Highlighter -- Cherish gloss


You can see how the bronze shimmer on the Chocolat eye shadow and the refined shimmer on the blush/highlighter. I cannot capture the opaline shimmer on the gloss but I hope you can see that the gloss is somewhat thin in texture.

Under the shade: Peach e/s -- Chocolat e/s -- Whisper Tint blush -- Feather Highlighter -- Cherish gloss


Again, so hard to capture the opaline shimmer under the shade. You can also see how the shimmer in the eye shadow looks flat. Anyone has any photography tip on this ?

THM: I think this set is a good value at $58 (full price). Especially handy for traveling due to the size -- I can see myself stashing this one in the diaper bag for on-the-go touch up but nothing else.

10 comments:

  1. Ahhh Jouer!
    Many people have been giving good comment on this brand! The eyeshadow looks buttery and I love the shade too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Yes, although the shadow looks so-so I love the overall look of the palette, and if you are wearing them outdoor, the bronze shimmer really shows up!

      Delete
  2. I love the philosophy behind Jouer and I finally went to the site and signed up for emails so I could get the 50% off code lol!! I mainly am interested in that super cute pink pouch that says oh la la :-) Anyway...I find Jouer prodcuts enticing, but in the end nothing particularly draws me in except that I love how it all locks together and seems like it would be so handy. Your review confirmed my suspicions...great for touch ups but not as something I'd use everyday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, I think their product is very well-made, but very understated at the same time. If you have lots of neutral-leaning products from other brands (aka Burberry, hint hint :-)) then you probably won't need much of their offerings. It may be handy for you since you travel a lot, though! And that "Oh la la" ouch is super cute!!

      Delete
    2. Oops...I'm sorry...didn't mean to imply they aren't well made. I only meant what you said about the neutral offerings - which you are right and I do have!!! LOL!! Actually I think most of my makeup is neutral...is that sad??? I have my comfort zone that's for sure ha ha :-)

      Delete
    3. Oh no! I don't think your comment implied the quality of the product, not at all. I think we both are in the same page re. the draw of the product :-) Yeah, my makeup is mostly neutral (Hello Burberry!!) and that is not sad, sistah!! Understated makeup = chic makeup!

      Delete
  3. I adore the idea of that tiny palette, even though those particular colours aren't ones I need. Have you tried the whisper tint as an eyeshadow? That is one stunning peachy shade!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This palette is so tiny, I spent a long time looking/playing/assembling it in many different ways. Really nifty. Re. Whisper, now that's an idea! I can even use that as a base and extend it up as a highlighter shade. Brilliant! Thanks, Kate.

      Delete
  4. Holy smackers!!! This palette looks beautiful and so very me! I shouldn't........but I am so tempted!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if you can sign up to jouer.com website from the UK and get the 50% discount? That'll ease the pain of forking up some $$ to get this :-)

      Delete