7.22.2013

Lots of 'Cones: Hot Day Makeup and Three Minute Make Up Challenge


Good morning! It sounds like the day is going to heat up again. Our hot days in the Land of Lorp can be summed up by lots of 'cones: ice cream cones for the Toddler and silicones for Mama. 

Many of you must have watched Lisa Eldridge's last video installment on summer weather makeup, but I personally won't wear that much make up in this heat. My goal for a hot day makeup is to look pretty with undetectable makeup under the intense sunlight. Pardon the pun, but I found products with silicones work seamlessly on the skin without that noticeable made-up effect. While normally is a staple, I skip highlighter: no matter what brand (even the holy-grail Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector), it always looks quite obvious under intense sunlight. Besides, perspiration and oil will make my face slightly dewy anyway, so one less step/product to put on. Finally, I also skip under eye concealer. Again, another cannot-live-without, but regardless the brand, it always looks powdery/creamy/cakey under natural light.

My no-makeup makeup now becomes simpler with these products five products (clockwise from top left):

  • EltaMD UV Clear Broad-Spectrum SPF 46
    I need a (mostly) physical sunscreen that is quite stable and somewhat long-lasting (with the emphasize on somewhat since we all know sunscreen needs to be applied regularly). The lightweight texture is a plus: although my skin is dry, I usually layer hyaluronic lotion, then serum, then moisturizer before the sunscreen itself. This sunscreen fits the bill with a reasonable price, too! With octinoxate and zinc oxide, the otherwise bland formulation is enriched with niacinamide. It has a nice pump applicator for easy eye-ball measurement of 1/4 teaspoonful for face and neck. I purchased mine from dermstore.com which occasionally will have discounts/sales for EltaMD.
  • Giorgio Armani Maestro Foundation (shade #4.5)
    I bought this foundation when it was the hype last year, I never found its full utility until now. This foundation blends seamlessly on my already emollient base of the above-mentioned layers so it doesn't emphasize dry patches and pores. In reality, I can even wear shade #2 (which is my normal non-summer GA shade) but shade #4.5 is warmer and the coverage is so sheer and forgiving. A drop is all I need to even out my skin.
  • Soleil Tan de Chanel Bronzing Makeup Base
    A broken record here. I love this stuff. A thin layer all over or on strategic places to give just the bonne mine glow.
  • Becca Beach Tint in Lychee
    I wear this blush everyday since I got it, what took me so long?? Hello, radiant flush! Two tiny dots are all you need. Works great on that just-tanned skin or pale skin alike. 
  • Burberry Effortless Mascara and Shiseido Eye Lash Curler
    I don't see lots of rave reviews of Burberry mascara and honestly, this is not the best mascara I found but not the worst either. What sets this mascara apart is the look that it gives: somewhat wet, lush but natural-looking lashes. This one is not waterproof, and for that, I will steer you to Majolica Majorca's.
On the lips I have a good rotation of Burberry Mallow Pink (still love this one), or Maybelline ColorSentational Vivids in Vivid Rose (reviewed here by Temptalia) layered on top of my Jack Black Lip Balm SPF 15. When I need a nude, I go with Chanel Plaisir Glossimer or one of the Aerin's Lip Gloss (reviewed here, and here).

So, with these minimal products, I wonder how fast I can put these on in the morning. I've seen "Three Minute Makeup Challenge" going around at YouTube (here's a hilarious one by Tanya Burr). Can I really do it in three minutes? With a stopwatch on my phone, I timed the following. O.k. Here's the 3 minutes make up challenge. Ready, set, go!

00:00 Start by putting on sunscreen
00:15 Sunscreen done
00:27 Drop one drop of foundation, blend only on nose, chin and other select areas, done
00:45 Shake Becca Beach Tint, put on two pin-size dots, blend, done
01:04 Blend in Soleil de Tan using brush on the number "3" zones, done
01:27 Curl eye lashes
02:04 Put on mascara
02:29 Put on lip gloss (Chanel Plasir for today)

Ta-da! I was 30 seconds under and that is really makeup + sunscreen done. Told ya, the 'cones make everything easy to blend with fingers. 

Have a nice day and I hope you enjoy the hot weather wherever you are.

2 comments:

  1. I just can not get out of the door in under 30 minutes! Doesn't matter what I do!

    Also, I love the feeling of silicone products on my skin, but primers especially loaded with it makes me very greasy. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heck, I could only time this for the sake of blog-writing and because the toddler was downstairs with his dad. Really, my 3-minute makeup is usually a 30-45 minutes makeup, juggling between curling eye lashes & the toddler dunking his hand into the toilet :-) Have you read my "Get Ready with Me?" That's more like it. http://landoflorp.blogspot.com/2013/05/get-ready-with-me-everyday-edition.html

      Delete