7.23.2013

Thankful Tuesday

Thankful Tuesday probably won't exist without the woman who started the phenomenon of it all, Sarah Ban Breathnach. I discovered her bestseller book, Simple Abundance, back in the mid 90s; a sophomore in college, sitting in the comfy chair of the departmental Social Worker's office, utterly depressed with I-don't-know-what-anymore. I read that book cover-to-cover and gave it away to Goodwill. To be honest, I couldn't relate to most of the "suggestions" in the book back then (afterall, I was only interested in Oprah after/during OJ Simpson's mega trial), but one thing stuck with me: to write gratitude daily with hope that I can someday see the abundance.

Fast forward to this past weekend, when I watch Oprah's Super Soul Sunday and I was surprised that Sarah had gone tremendous change, from riches to rags (read here for summary). In my life, teachers come in many shape and form and Sarah certainly planted the seed of being aware about abundance around us. It doesn't matter what her story is, all I know is that I'm grateful for what she had to share back then.

Now, whenever I write my gratitude list, it instantly puts my life in perspective. Even when I'm down or angry or just out of touch with reality, I can go back to these lists and realize that life is full of abundance. The list does not have to be long, it doesn't have to be "deep" or meaningful, or spiritually-sounding. As Eckart Tolle puts it, "Acknowledging the good that is already in your life is the foundation for all abundance." If the good in my life that day was a scoop of half-melted ice cream, let it be the gratitude! I also love reading other people's gratitude list. They affirm that this world is really full of goodness, not just for me, but for everyone. Absolutely everyone.

With that said, here are few things I'm thankful about today/this week:

  • A simple, good potato salad that we enjoyed for dinner
  • Another chance to work tomorrow (so thankful that I still have this job)
  • ToddlerLorp's antics
  • A (relatively) clean house
  • Vacation plan
  • The luxury of being able to bake for fun
  • A new pair of sandals for ToddlerLorp
  • Strangers that become friends
  • Malls with AC!
  • A cool evening after a scorching day
What are you thankful for this week? Please share with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment