10.07.2013

I got duped: Skincare and Makeup Fails


O.k. noone was duping me into anything. I got myself duped, by myself. Apart from my best judgement, careful spending, meticulous planning, I inevitably bought things that I later regret. Why? See if you can find a pattern & read on below.

Aesop Primrose Facial Hydrating Cream
I don't know what I was eating when I thought putting a cream containing rosemary essential oil is such a good idea. It's good for your lamb roast but not so much for the eyes (it stings!). While the rest of the ingredients in this thankfully not-so-expensive high-end cream are decent, the essential oil combo is not. And it left welts on my skin. Thanks! Now I have an overpriced, non-portable but great smelling hand cream sitting on my desk.

Creme de la Mer Moisturizing Cream
I received two sample pots during an event at Nordstrom, I was very tempted to get the full size for my notoriously dry skin. So many women out there love this cream, they couldn't be wrong, right?
Wow, this must be the queen of skincare temptress. Not that I hate petrolatum (the second ingredient and unfortunately, the nemesis of many), but petrolatum + soapy fragrance + exorbitant price = what am I thinking?? I've seen many better. Glad I didn't press the "Place my Order" button on this one. I couldn't even finish the sample pot before my skin started to break out.

Sekkisei Lotion Excellent
The second ingredient in this "moisturizing" toner is alcohol. If that is not an oxymoron, I don't know what is. Yet, I somehow think if Asian women have glowing skin, why oh why can't I? I guess I was dozing off when I purchased this and hoping that it will somehow rejuvenate my parched skin. My eczema spots flared up as soon as I used this, requiring a week worth of calming from my trusty, prescription-strength cortisone cream.

Guerlain Ecrin 2 Couleurs in Two Lovely 07
My SIL and I went to a Guerlain event in her local Neiman's back in the summer (which also included a visit to DryBar detailed here). I picked the Katy Navy liner and the 4-Season Bronzer. She picked this eye shadow duo and some other items. Two Lovely is a combo of greyish teal with sparkling aquamarine. It looked amazing on her and I'm a sucker for anything teal: it brings out the copper tone my dark brown eyes. Naturally, she and I traded items before I went home and she gave me this for my bronzer.
Alas, I got duped!! Although the color is lovely, the texture is dry and hard. The sparkly aquamarine? A glitter mess that falls off as soon as I put it on. I think this is salvageable with a decent eye primer, but who wants to add a step when you normally don't need it? Plus, bonne chance of getting my SIL to trade back the bronzer, of course she loves it.

So, do you see any pattern whatsoever on why I kept picking duds and got duped into products I don't need? I don't. LOL. If you do, please let me know. If you don't, do you have any skincare/makeup fails recently?

6 comments:

  1. :((( Oh, fails! Lately my skincare stuff has been very stable and haven't changed much so no fails there. But recently some of the makeup I've purchased has me going huh. For instance, while the textures of the THREE palettes are amazing, some of the tones are less flattering. Or are they? I keep on deluding myself into thinking I love them and keep playing around with the placements. And one of the two Suqqus from Fall are confounding me. Pretty, but not spectacular. Maybe spectacular is too high a standard. I dunno. :(

    You recent skincare fails did have me wincing. That sounded painful with the welts and the breakouts!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm tellin ya.. I must have gotten duped by some bewitching thing in the skincare area. I've got a boring routine, too for skincare and somehow, for some reason, I felt I need to switch things up. Never again! I think since I've started again on using Retin-A, my skin has become a lot more sensitive to sunlight & some essential oils are known photo-sensitizer (thus the welt).

      Sorry to hear about your makeup fail :-( I can understand why, though. THREE and Suqqu are stuffs you cannot test in person, so you took a gamble by purchasing them sight unseen. Can you work some of the colors with your existing colors?

      Delete
    2. I didn't know that some essential oils are photo-sensitizers, too! Ah, that's good to know. It probably does us both good to keep to stuff that works in the skincare routine. Maybe it's the retin A for me, too but it makes my skin less tolerant outside a very small set of products.

      :) I shall keep playing with my makeup. The quality is so lovely that I'm going to give it a real college try. But eventually, if eh, I will need to say bye bye.

      Delete
    3. Yes, I think Retin-A is definitely the culprit. Citrus oils are the biggest offenders as far as photo-sensitizer. Fragrance, you never know what's in it, can be photo-sensitizing, too. I used to bland, thick moisturizer when I was on Retin-A pre-pregnancy, and now I'm back using it again. I try to stick to things that are unscented for the most part.

      Delete
  2. that sucks about the skincare fails! :(((( my skin used to be pretty good but it has been all dry and weird this year with some breakouts. I can't figure it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you tried the Hada Labo lotion I tweeted you the other day? The Gummy from GummyVision has graciously posted my skincare routine in her blog, and it includes the Hada Labo lotion.

      Delete