5.14.2014

Mascara Dilemma (dis)Solved



Is desperation the mother of all inventions? At least, it is true for me. Desperation of finding a mascara that stays put and smudge-proof with the ease of removal, that is. Perhaps something close to that ideal is a tubing mascara which is easily removed with soap and warm water. Easy enough, but the problem is, I no longer cleanse my face with soap and water. On the other hand, I've got several waterproof mascaras waiting to be used but oh, the tenacity! No matter how long I soak the lashes with waterproof/bi-phasic makeup removal on a cotton pad, I still need to rub and rub and rub to remove it completely. Worse than rubbing (and the lashes that shed as the result of it), the solution gets into my eyes, coating my contact lens with a film of slick oil.

One day out of a desperate attempt to remove waterproof Japanese mascara, I dipped a clean mascara wand into the makeup removal solution and swiped it back and forth, like applying mascara, onto my lashes. I let the it marinade for a bit, then one swipe of the cotton soaked with remover to finish the task and voila! All the mascara came of without killing any lashes in the process and no solution got into my eyes. YAY!



I suppose any mascara wands will do. This one is salvaged from an old mascara tube. The dense, short bristles are of the perfect length to hold the solution together without dripping. True, there is such product as mascara remover in a wand, like this one. But I think this method is a double win: you get to use a makeup remover you already owned and you get to repurpose a mascara wand. You can also use this method using regular Q-tip but I found the fibers get into the eyes. I found mascara wand delivers just the right amount of solution directly onto the lashes.

By the way, this method also works for non-waterproof mascara. I just use Bioderma instead of the bi-phasic L'Oreal Clean Artiste.

So, the next time you are finished with a mascara tube, salvage the wand and see if it can help you dissolved your current mascara problem. Let me know if you decided to try this method!

6 comments:

  1. What an amazing tip!! Ive seen these Japanese mascara removers that look like mascaras and perhaps they use a similar formula. You genius!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the Kiss Me Heroine Mascara Remover (link above) that I came across from Kate the Driveler's blog may have a gel-like texture and will work better, but I think in a pinch, this method will do.

      Delete
  2. That's such an awesome tip, Claire, I would have never thought to try that!!! I hate mascara removal too so this is really helpful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it works for you as it has for me!

      Delete
  3. This is a great idea, thanks for sharing this tip.

    ReplyDelete