5.19.2014

Pasta Pasti


As a mom, I have a LOT to be thankful for my LittleLorp. He is perhaps an exception of most toddler: he loves eating. From blueberries, olives, stinky natto, pungent shoga (pickled ginger), to chalk and worms, everything is fair game. 

But, even an equal-opportunity eater has his own moment and when that moment comes, I always revert back to two things that he likes the most: peas and bacon. I'm especially pleased with this recipe that I came across from Genaro, but they don't list the recipe, so I improvised below.




Pasta for Kids (adapted from Gennaro Contaldo)
serves.. few days worth of hungry toddler's lunch

8 oz tube pasta (1/2 package, I use elbow)
4 slices of bacon (approx 4 oz), chopped
1 zucchini,  cubed
1/2 sweet onion, chopped
10-oz bag of frozen petit pois/young green peas 
Grated parmesan to serve
Salt & pepper to taste
Fresh herbs if you have any (I actually used dried mint from a mint tea bag since I don't have fresh mint on hand).

If you follow my direction closely, this dish can be prepared in under 30 minutes (i.e. one episode of Peppa Pig). Ready?

Put a large pan of water on high heat to boil pasta and a saute pan over med-high heat for the sauce. While waiting for water to boil, chop the bacon and render it on the heated saute pan. 
Chop the onion and zucchini, set them aside.
Once the bacon is rendered (takes about 3-5 minutes), drain all the fat but 1 Tablespoon. Toss in the onion and sweat for 5 minutes.
Toss in frozen peas into the pan.
By this time, the water would have been boiling. Boil pasta according to package direction (mine says 6 minutes). Don't forget to salt the water.
Shift your attention back to the sauce. Continue tossing the peas until they are almost heated through but not overly cooked. Add zucchini, toss for another 2-3 minutes, then turn off the heat to prevent overcooking the zucchini.
When the pasta is ready, reserve about 1 cup of pasta water. Over medium heat, toss pasta into the waiting zucchini/bacon/pea melange, adding reserved pasta water to moisten it. 

Serve with a handful of parmesan.



We've been having and anticipating hot sunny week here at the Land, so I'm going to lay off makeup in lieu of thick slathering of sunscreen. MOTW will be back next week.


4 comments:

  1. Um I would eat this!!! It looks really yummy :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the Tod is pretty possessive about it, too. Whenever I tried to finish off his leftovers, he'd say, "No mama eat!!"

      Delete
  2. I love simple pasta dishes because they are so fast and easy and tasty! In my home, a perennial favorite is broccoli pasta. We saute chopped broccoli in a pan with olive oil & garlic. Then add al dente pasta (usually some small thing - penne, shells, etc) and saute a bit further with a gob of butter. Toss in grated parmesan cheese and pepper and boom! This is my little kid's favorite dish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is my kind of recipe: simple, quick and veggie-containing hehe.. thanks for sharing!

      Delete