Day 4 of Happy Homemade Sew Along is all about attaching the hoodie. There's a lot to be done and it took me two days to complete the task. Here's how I did it.
Attaching the hoodie itself onto the bodice was easy peasy. The hard part was sewing the neck facing: a piece of long strip to conceal all the seams and the elastic around the neck.
Lots of pins and lots of turns were a recipe for disaster, at least for me. Then I remembered why I spent countless hours helping my Oma hand-basting; it is exactly to avoid such disaster and to produce a neater product.
Let's take a detour and talk about my Oma for a second. Among other jobs that she held in her life, she was a seamstress. She sew for a living to help out with the expenses of raising four children and an aging mother. Not only that, she loved everything that she did domestically that it showed through everything she made. She made my mother's wedding dress, all of my school uniforms (and my sister's and my brother's), an impromptu button-down shirt for the Tod from a salvaged broadcloth shirt, and everything she owned to wear. Even though all these things were available for purchase, she always said well-made and well-fit clothes worth a thousand bucks, and it is true. I remembered one time she planned to attend an event at the church that was of special importance. She and I went shopping for that exact dress that she had in mind. Of course, she found none of such dress. She then went home, flipped through a couple of Vogue magazines (they used to come with patterns in it!) --- I like this collar, but with this sleeves, not the A-lines skirt, but more of a swing, etc. etc. She drafted the pattern on a piece of newspaper, cut and sewn the dress. All in a day. In my mind, at least, there is nothing that Oma could not sew. She can reverse-engineer pretty much anything.
Whenever I visited her house to spend the night or the weekend, she would have loads of things for me to hand-baste. Shirt collars were the perennials, along with hems, ruffles, puffy sleeves, etc. I spent hours and hours hand-basting that my eyes are used to the 0.5 cm intervals between the stitches. Hand-basting help hold layers together so you can machine-stitch neatly, and I am thankful she drilled that to me.
Now, after all that, did I learn? Nope... I stubbornly use pins to attach the first part of the neck facing -- as evident on the picture above. And gosh golly.. it was such an acrobatic twist! It didn't look that bad on the picture above, but I encountered some sharp turns and such, I managed to poke myself with a pin. I also had to stop every one inch or so to make sure I sew all the layers. What a P-I-T-A. I called it a day, that was the end of day one.
The next day, lesson learned. I hand-basted the second part of the neck facing. What a breeze it was to sew, Oma would be so proud of me..
Ta-da! Neck facing attached and looked professional, thanks to hand-basting. We are homestretch, folks! Next time, we'll have a hoodie to wear.