8.14.2014

Paula's Choice Resist C15 Super Booster



At $45, Paula's Choice Resist C15 is one of the most affordable option in skincare, particularly vitamin C and antioxidant. I've used many PC's products in the past, some are so-so, some are my holy-grail staple. After three months of faithfully applying this product, I'll share with you my thoughts below.
  • Don't be tempted to apply it straight up, it burns, at least on my skin. I use it as directed, mixing it with one of Paula's Choice serum/your own serum. It also works nicely layered with face oil.
  • The product, once opened, only last for 3 months. The bottle's height is 6 cm, by the end of 3 months, with application of 2-3 drops twice daily, I still have about 1.5 cm worth of product left - approximately 25%. I throw away the reminder -- it is not worth my time & money to use oxidized product.
  • The solution starts out clear, gradually turns yellow as it oxidizes. The smell starts out metallic (ferulic acid is one of acidic compound containing iron) then turns citrus-like, then turns hot dog-like as it gets yellower and yellower.
  • It evens out my skin some, but I don't see noticeable improvement on age spots (accumulated for over 20 years of vacationing in the beach every summer without sunscreen -- don't do this at home, kids). I definitely have a lower expectation on all topical product: if everyone can get rid of age spots with a $45 serum then no MediSpa would survive. So long as this product is not irritating and keeping my skin in tip-top shape, I'm happy.
  • I'd like to think that it gives ample protection to my skin, but like any other preventative skincare product, the pudding will remain to be proven far in the future.


Resist C15 goes very well with one of Paula's Choice serum. I use the Resist Super Antioxidant Concentrate without retinol. They both ran out at approximately 3 months, making it an easy combo to order together. The combo is priced at $75, so that means $25/month which in my opinion is extremely affordable in terms of quality skin care (compared with SkinCeuticals Phloretin CF gel/CE Ferulic at $150 +). My only gripe is the packaging. I wish it would have been reformulated & packaged in air-tight/vacuum, opaque container. The dropper is handy, but opening/closing the container multiple times increases the exposure to air and light and leads to wastage of products.

One last word of caution: when I received the first shipment of Resist C15 from PC, the container was leaking. Since the product is only potent for 3 months after exposure to air, I reported this to PC, which right away sent me a replacement. Kudos to PC's customer service -- I practically received the replacement product within one business day (it does help that PC operates near Seattle area).

THM: I think this is a worth-while vitamin C product to try. The vitamin C is in its stable form, good amount (15%) and combined with other antioxidants like ferulic acid, this may be a good contender for SkinCeuticals C E Ferulic. 

I wouldn't be surprised if PC will take a stab at SkinCeuticals Phloretin CF Gel in the future, and I do hope that they will!

No comments:

Post a Comment