10.27.2014

The "Alphabet Cheek Dictionary" MOTW: W is for Pink


Phew, after recovering from the bizzaro blush world of last week, the W for Wink, er.... Pink is an unexpected conclusion to this ABC series. Again, the theme of using a blush for something else other than a blush, such as highlighter, contour, and in this case bronzer, continues.


The Tuto




The playful and cute alternative to bronzer: this technique mimic the placement of natural tan, where the sun hits the face. Use matte pink powder blush to achieve this look, i.e. NARS Blusher 4039 New Attitude (a cherry blossom pink). Alternatives include Paul and Joe Face Color CS 089 Azalea, Les Merveilleuses Ladurée Creamy Cheek Pot 103 and Jill Stuart Mix Blush Compact N 07 Sweet Primrose.

From the highest point of both cheeks, trace a U shape, then connect both on the bridge of the nose.

Swipe on grey-gradation shadow on the upper lids, brown liner on the bottom lashes and pink lipstick to round up the look.


Products Used



  • Burberry Complete Eye Palette in 01 Smokey Grey is the only Burberry quad I owned and perhaps the most underused eye palette in my collection. The shades themselves are quite lovely and I'm glad that I can use this palette for at least a week straight with this look. Not shown but also used is Burberry Eye Shadow in Pale Rose (discontinued), a pearly pinky base.
  • Chanel Le Crayon Yeux in Gris Scintillant, a sparkly grey liner that is stunning paired with matte greys of the Burberry. If I were to stay true with the tuto, I'd also line my bottom lids with taupey-brown liner like LMdB Champagne pencil, for example. 
  • Maquillage waterproof comb mascara (discontinued).
  • Since the look is all matte-matte, I think a nice slick of YSL Rouge Pur Couture Glossy Stain in 17 Encre Rose will give it a bit of a twist.
  • The blush! Oh, it is a vintage Ettusais circa 2002.. Guava is actually a shade of pure baby pink. Alternatively, I can use something like Burberry Peony or Chanel Blush in Tweed Pink.

My Impression

I would think that using bronzer in W-shape across the bridge of the nose would produce a more natural result than baby pink but the opposite is better for me (I don't tan, I burn whenever the sun hits my face and thus the pinkish-reddish burn in the W-shape). The cool grey eyes offset the saccharine baby pink and giving it a slight rock-chic edge, it is surprisingly tomboy & yet sweet at the same time.


The end! I've had fun preparing this series and I hope you have gleaned some tips/tricks on achieving the perfect cheek look for this Fall. Adaptations? Well, I can tell that I'll be wearing this W-rock-chic look for a bit, and the J-look is great translated into deep russet blush of the Fall.





4 comments:

  1. :DD I like this look MUCH MUCH better than the bizarro one. This one does really give the effect of a dash out in the sun and wind. It's very youthful and sweet. The other one looked like you're suffering from a fever. :) Thanks for this fun series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Japanese tutorials can be hit-miss but I had fun with this series. Thanks for following along!

      Delete
  2. These series were fun! Thank you for sharing! :) Stay warm in "the land of lorp"! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following along! Did you try any of the looks?

      Delete