3.09.2015

Coconut Banana Chia Pudding



It must be the Tod and PapaLorp's past time to make fun of MamaLorp's latest health food fad. 
"Who wants some chia pudding??" 
"Not me!" 
"Not me, either!"
 Good. A double negative. More for me.

This chia pudding looks menacing but chia gel actually tastes like nothing at all. It is crunchy and slimy at the same time -- if you like okra, you are all set. If not, don't give up yet. You can mix any liquid, fruit, topping until it's yummy (or so the Tod would ask me -- "Ma, mix-mix-mix the milk with chocolate syrup until it is yummy!"). You can sprinkle chia on everything, from salad, to morning cereal, to baked goods (like muffin -- kinda taste like poppy seeds without the poppy-aroma).

This pudding, however, is riddikulusly easy that you may as well give it a try. Chia seeds are available as bulk at Whole Foods and other health food market.

To make chia gel:

Mix 4 T chia with 1 c. water/milk/liquid of your choice, the ratio comes down to about 1 T of chia seeds : 1/4 c of liquid. Stir and leave for about 15-30 minutes until gelled. Add more or less liquid as desired.

To make the above pudding:

Mix chia gel with few tablespoons of coconut milk and a pinch of salt (trust me on this). Top with ripe banana, the riper the better so you won't need sweetener. I can eat this by the bowlful for breakfast or snacks. Also good with fresh berries, muesli, regular milk/cream, yogurt, etc.

Enjoy the rest of your week!


P.S. Yes, yes, we are growing our own chia pet. No hairs yet, though.


2 comments:

  1. :) Those seeds ARE very bland aren't they! The coconut pudding recipe is just the kind I want to try, but my laziness prohibits me from doing more than scattering in a spoonful into my late AM yogurt snack.

    Also, whenever I think of chia seeds, I keep on hearing the Ch-Ch-Ch-Chia jingle from when I was a kid. Please show off your Chia Animal when it grows some hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ch-ch-ch-Chia!! Yep, same here, the Tod were singing those jingles b/c I taught him LOL. I think our chia pet "dies" of too much water. Oh well, we'll be sure to instagram-it!

      Delete