7.07.2015

Summer Songs

Every summer inevitably discussions of "the" summer song arise. I can think of a few seasonal/trendy ones, like Gwen Stefani's "Hollaback Girl," or ones I'd like to forget, like Nelly's "Hot in Here." Or ones from High School, like like Roxette's "It Must Have Been Love" from the "Pretty Woman" era.

My earliest memories of music were oddly those of ABBA and The Beatles. Oh yeah, I was belting out, "Gimme gimme gimme a man after midnight" when I was five not knowing what it all means, to the delight of everyone in my family (ah, a budding superstar!), but those songs are memories of endless hours in the beach or swimming pool, sands in between my toes and swimsuit, getting the skin crispy tan, and chasing them all with a tall glass of cold drink (sans-alcohol, obvi).

Then there were endless bossa nova and samba from the likes of Astrud Gilberto and Jobim. The bossa nova is my gateway music-drug to some of the modern artists like Diana Krall. Oddly enough, I listened to Diana Krall when I was in Paris, and when I came back to the U.S., I craved that melancholy French-Gypsy-"Hot Club de France" that actually was rarely played in any Parisian cafes.

Lately, my summer music is whatever the Tod likes to hear -- we listen to all genre of music from many different countries: classical, popular, jazz, African folk/storytelling, hymns, etc. This week, we are talking about fireworks and Tanabata festival comes to mind. I'm hoping that he'll go to create his own list of summer songs someday -- and maybe some of my favorite songs will be his, too.

What is your summer song?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment